Located on the point north of Port Townsend, Fort Worden was armed with numerous gun batteries, ranging in caliber from 3-inch rapid fire guns to the 12-inch mortars of Battery Brannan and Battery Powell. The army started major construction at the fort in the mid 1890s and continued until the completion of Battery Kinzie in 1908. World War II brought another surge in construction, this time mostly of command structures rather than gun emplacements.
Fort Worden was sold to the state of Washington in the 1950s and is now operated as a state park. Almost all of the batteries and fire control stations are open to the public, with the exceptions of the magazines and store rooms of batteries Stoddard and Putnam and some of the rooms in the main gun line's plotting/storage buildings.