Fort Worden, HD Puget Sound
Construction on Battery Brannan was started in 1899 and was finished in 1901 for a cost of $81,051. The battery was designed to house eight 12-inch mortars, four in each three sided pit. The powder room and shot galleries were built into the walls of the pits to either side and to the front.
By 1920 two mortars had been removed from each pit and the empty emplacements filled with sand and covered with concrete.
In 1915 a new plotting building was constructed to the rear of the battery to replace the older plotting complex located between batteries Powell and Brannan.
Battery Brannan pit A|
Battery Brannan pit B
Mortar power plant
Old mortar plotting room
|Form 1||November, 1925|
|Form 7||November, 1925|
|Form 1, page 1||September, 1927|
|Form 1, page 2||October, 1927|
|Form 2, plotting room||September, 1932|
Battery Powell is part of Fort Worden State Park and is open to the public.
You can park near the central power plant and follow the old road to the first fork and then turn right (east). After a while a trail will take off to the left that leads right to the battery.
|Main Puget Sound Page|