Fort Worden, HD Puget Sound
Battery Powell was built to house eight 12-inch mortars. The military started construction in 1899 and the battery was finished by 1901. The layout of Battery Powell is fairly typical of 'horse shoe' type mortar emplacements, having two three sided 'pits' containing four mortars each. The magazines are located around the pit to the front and to either side.
The Coast Artillery had two mortars removed from each pit, in 1918 and 1920 respectively, the empty gun wells were then filled with sand and covered with concrete.
A Sewell type (plaster over metal mesh) plotting building was constructed to the rear of the battery in 1915 to replace an older plotting complex that was located between batteries Brannan and Powell.
The remaining four mortars were removed in 1943 and scrapped.
Battery Powell pit A|
Battery Powell pit B
Mortar power plant
Old mortar plotting room
|Form 1||November, 1925|
|Form 7||November, 1925|
|Form 1, page 1||September, 1927|
|Form 1, page 2||October, 1927|
|Form 2, plotting room||September, 1932|
|Form 1||September 1, 1943|
|Form 7||September, 1943|
Battery Powell is part of Fort Worden State Park and is open to the public.
You can park near the central power plant and follow the old road to the first fork and then turn right (east). After a while a trail will take off to the left that leads right to the battery.
|Main Puget Sound Page|