Battery Kinzie is perhaps the most impressive battery at Fort Worden. Over 300 feet long and three stories tall, it contains 19 rooms and several winding passages. Completed in 1910 it was the last of the major batteries to be built at the fort, and
included many technological improvements that had been made over the last ten years.
The battery structure contained most of the facilities that were needed to operate its two 12-inch disappearing guns, including a power plant, a plotting room, a battery command station and extensive ammunition handling and storage facilities.
One of the features that differentiates Battery Kinzie from most other batteries in Puget Sound are its numerous 'air spaces'. These passages allowed air to flow around the outside of the magazines and other rooms, helping to keep them dry. Also, the magazines were actually separate buildings with there own walls and roofs independent from the larger rooms that housed them. This allowed air to pass on all sides of the magazine and prevented water from seeping in through the concrete.
Battery Benson also used a similar system of air spaces.
The battery's armament and much of its other equipment was removed in 1944.