Battery Const. #293 is located atop Caines Head at an elevation of 630 feet above sea level. Armament at the battery consisted of two 6-inch guns emplaced on either side of the central magazine and plotting structure. Each gun was protected by a turret-like steel shield several inches thick.
When construction on Battery #293 was halted in the spring of 1944 the project was nearing completion, requiring only the installation of communications equipment and camouflage. Prior to abandonment the army removed all Ordnance and Signal Corps equipment, but left the lighting system and much of the power room wiring and conduits in place.