Battery Const. #298
Fort Learnard, HD Dutch Harbor
Home  |  Dutch Harbor


Battery Const. #298 was armed with two 6-inch guns emplaced in turret-like steel shields to either side of a central magazine and plotting structure. The Army started construction on August 20, 1942 and the battery was completed on November 30, 1944.

Modifications made by modern squatters have reduced the historical value of some parts of the battery, most notably the #1 shell rooms and the plotting complex. However, many pieces of original equipment still remain at the battery including a shell cart, parts of the gun carriages and numerous other objects.

Another interesting feature is the wooden addition to the rear of the battery. The addition consisted of several rooms and a wooden tunnel running approximately 700 feet to where it surfaced near the main roadway. The propose of the rooms is unknown, but may have been store rooms or crew quarters. The majority of the addition's wooden roofs have collapsed.

Emplacement #1
Emplacement #2
Power plant
Plotting complex
BC station




Exterior



The battery as seen from near the BC station.
July 2004
Looking northeast at the battery.
July 2004
Collapsed building at the end of the access tunnel.
July 2004
Looking southwest along the collapsed tunnel.
July 2004
The northwest end of the addition. The tunnel entered near the middle of the photo.
July 2004
Detail of collapsed tunnel segment.
July 2004
Looking east at the addition. The main battery is under the mound on the left
July 2004
The addition, looking southeast.
July 2004
The southeast end of the addition. The power room exhaust pipes are visible near the middle of the photo.
July 2004
Looking west at the addition.
July 2004
Detail of the vent shaft cover.
July 2004
Detail of capped-off air intake.
July 2004




Center Corridor



The rear entrance.
July 2004
Looking south in the entry area.
July 2004
The west corner of the entry area.
July 2004
The entry area, looking north.
July 2004
Looking east in the entry area.
July 2004
Looking northeast, plotting room door on right.
July 2004
Looking southwest.
July 2004
Detail of electrical box.
July 2004




Front Corridor



Looking southeast.
July 2004
Looking northwest.
July 2004
Detail of various equipment.
July 2004
Abandoned equipment near the #1 entrance.
July 2004
Detail of equipment.
July 2004
A large spanner and a powder canister near the #1 entrance.
July 2004
Electrical box near the #2 entrance.
July 2004
Detail of old shipping crate parts.
July 2004
Detail of shell cart.
July 2004
Detail of shell cart.
July 2004







Documents
Form 1August 1, 1944
Form 5August 1, 1944
Form 7November 8, 1944
Arc of fire mapDecember 10, 1944
Description of fire control1944
Tabulation of fire control1944
Fire control chartDecember 10, 1944
Plot planDecember 10, 1944
As built drawing Note: modified from the originalAugust 4, 1945




Home  |  Dutch Harbor

Best viewed using Internet Explorer 6.0 at 800 X 850 with 96 PPI
Please make sure javascript is enabled for proper viewing.
Last modified on Thursday, 04/20/06, at 10:50 PM
copyright © 2003 - 2007 Andy Rohde
Conditions of use and Disclaimers