War Reserve Magazines
Fort McGilvray, HD Seward
Home  |  Seward


The war reserve ammunition area at Fort McGilvray is located along the Battery Const. #293 access road to the north of the battery and consists of four concrete magazines and at least one smaller magazine of corrugated metal construction. The four large magazines are of the parabolic arch concrete igloo type common in seward, and are built into the hillside on either side of the road. Each of the concrete magazines was assigned a letter to identify it.

Two magazines of similar design were constructed to store antiaircraft ammunition at Caines Head and Rugged Island.





Magazine A



The front of the magazine.
July 2005
Looking southwest in the magazine.
July 2004
Detail of the vent shaft.
July 2004
The northeast end of the magazine.
July 2004




Magazine B



Looking north at the magazine.
July 2004
Inside the magazine.
July 2004
Detail of the vent shaft.
July 2004
Looking east in the magazine.
July 2004




Magazine C



The front of the magazine.
July 2004
Looking northeast inside the magazine.
July 2004
Looking out of the magazine.
July 2004




Magazine D



Looking southeast at the magazine.
July 2004
Inside the magazine.
July 2004
Detail of the vent shaft.
July 2004
The southeast end of the magazine.
July 2004




Corrugated metal magazine



Wooden front wall of the magazine.
July 2005
Inside the magazine.
July 2004
Looking towards the back of the magazine.
July 2004







Documents
The locations of the concrete magazines are shown in exhibit 6-A of the 1944 A Annex.




Home  |  Seward

Best viewed using Internet Explorer 6.0 at 800 X 850 with 96 PPI
Please make sure javascript is enabled for proper viewing.
Last modified on Thursday, 04/20/06, at 11:12 PM
copyright © 2003 - 2007 Andy Rohde
Conditions of use and Disclaimers