SCR-296 Site
Piedmont Point, HD Kodiak
Home  |  Kodiak


The Army installed an SCR-296 fire control radar site at Piedmont Point, a small point southeast of Battery Const. #404. The facility included a metal frame transmitter building, two power houses and a 50-foot steel tower. The radar site's primary assignment was to serve Battery Const. #404, but it could also assist Battery Const. #296 when needed.






Looking northeast at the transmitter building site.
July 2005
The west corner of the transmitter building foundation.
July 2005
One of the tower footings.
July 2005
The tower site.
July 2005
Looking west at the north power house site.
July 2005
A pit near the north power house, probably left by a removed fuel tank.
July 2005
The south power house site, looking south.
July 2005
Possible fuel tank location near the south power house.
July 2005
A building typical of the standard SCR-296 power houses is located near the Kodiak VFW hall. It was probably relocated from Piedmont Point sometime after the war.
July 2005







Documents
Form 2May 1, 1944
PlanSeptember 1, 1945
Form 5September 1, 1945
Arc of Detection map.October 1944
Detail map of area.September 1944




Home  |  Kodiak

Best viewed using Internet Explorer 6.0 at 800 X 850 with 96 PPI
Please make sure javascript is enabled for proper viewing.
Last modified on Saturday, 10/14/06, at 08:25 PM
copyright © 2003 - 2007 Andy Rohde
Conditions of use and Disclaimers