Magnetic Loop Station
Fort McGilvray, HD Seward
Home  |  Seward


In 1942 the Navy installed a magnetic anti-submarine detection loop reaching across Resurrection Bay from Rocky Point to the eastern shore near Hat Island. Vessels passing over the loop would cause detectable changes in the magnetic field surrounding the loop, alerting personnel at the receiving station.

The shore facilities for the loop were located just north of Rocky Point and included a receiving station and two power houses. All three buildings were of wood frame construction.






The receiving station building has collapsed.
July 2005
Looking east at the receiving station remains.
July 2005
 
Looking west at the southern power house.
July 2005
The front of the southern power house.
July 2005
The west corner of the southern power house.
July 2005
Looking east in the southern power house.
July 2005
 
Looking south at the northern power house.
July 2005
Looking north at the northern power house.
July 2005
The northwest corner of the northern power house.
July 2005
Looking southeast in the northern power house.
July 2005
Detail of equipment mount in the northern power house.
July 2005
Detail of old shipping crate used to cover the vent in the northern power house.
July 2005






Documents
Description of underwater defenses.1944
Map showing the Rocky Point area
Receiver station is on the upper right.
 
Map showing location of loop cableAugust 20, 1944




Home  |  Seward

Best viewed using Internet Explorer 6.0 at 800 X 850 with 96 PPI
Please make sure javascript is enabled for proper viewing.
Last modified on Thursday, 04/20/06, at 11:15 PM
copyright © 2003 - 2007 Andy Rohde
Conditions of use and Disclaimers