Searchlights #5 and #6
Cape Chiniak, HD Kodiak
Home  |  Kodiak


Searchlights #5 and #6 are located at Cape Chiniak, also referred to as South Cape. The searchlights were housed in a pair of concrete shelters, each of which also doubled as a power plant.

Both searchlights were directed from a single Distant Electrical Control, or DEC, station. Although not shown so on Army plans, this double station is larger than a typical DEC.



DEC Station


Looking north at the DEC from the searchlight shelters.
August 2005
Looking down on the station.
August 2005
The south corner of the DEC.
August 2005
Looking northwest inside the station.
August 2005
The front of the DEC, looking in the doorway.
August 2005
Detail of walkway and entrance to the station.
August 2005



Searchlight #5


The searchlights as seen from the DEC station.
August 2005
Detail of the searchlights.
August 2005
Looking northwest at the shelter.
August 2005
Looking south at the shelter.
August 2005
The north end of the shelter.
August 2005
Looking out of the shelter.
August 2005
Detail of vent opening.
August 2005
Detail of exposed wiring.
August 2005



Searchlight #6


Looking northwest at the shelter.
August 2005
The front of the shelter.
August 2005
Looking north inside the shelter.
August 2005
The south side of the shelter.
August 2005
Detail of telephone terminal connector.
August 2005
Detail of door.
August 2005







Documents
Form 4, Searchlight #5May 1, 1944
Plan, Searchlight #5September 1, 1945
Form 4, Searchlight #6 
Plan, Searchlight #6September 1, 1945
Detail map of area.September 1944
Area of Illumination map. 




Home  |  Kodiak

Best viewed using Internet Explorer 6.0 at 800 X 850 with 96 PPI
Please make sure javascript is enabled for proper viewing.
Last modified on Thursday, 04/20/06, at 11:00 PM
copyright © 2003 - 2007 Andy Rohde
Conditions of use and Disclaimers