SCR-296 Site
Round Top, HD Kodiak
Home  |  Kodiak


The Army installed an SCR-296 fire control radar site at Round Top, a small hill to the south of Fort J. H. Smith. The facility included a metal frame transmitter building, two power houses and a 50-foot steel tower. The observations made by this radar were used by both Battery Const. #403 and Battery Tactical #2.

Both the tower and transmitter building remain in reasonable condition, although neither power house could be located. Parts of the antenna rotor equipment have fallen to the ground near the tower.






Looking southeast at the transmitter building.
August 2005
The southwest corner of the transmitter building.
August 2005
Inside the transmitter building, looking southeast.
August 2005
Looking southwest in the transmitter building.
August 2005
Detail of trap door and light fixture in the transmitter building.
August 2005
Detail of roof structure in the transmitter building.
August 2005
Looking northeast at the transmitter building, tower to rear.
August 2005
Transmitter building (left) and tower (right), seen from the south.
August 2005
Looking south at the tower.
August 2005
The top of the tower.
August 2005
Looking along the feedline conduits and up the tower.
August 2005
Detail of the feedline conduits running from the transmitter building to the tower.
August 2005
Detail of the antenna rotor.
August 2005
Detail of the antenna rotor.
August 2005
Scrap of corrugated metal, probably from one of the power houses.
August 2005
Detail of tower footing.
August 2005







Documents
Form 2May 1, 1944
PlanSeptember 1, 1945
Arc of Detection map.October 1944
Detail map of area.September 1944




Home  |  Kodiak

Best viewed using Internet Explorer 6.0 at 800 X 850 with 96 PPI
Please make sure javascript is enabled for proper viewing.
Last modified on Friday, 05/26/06, at 02:40 PM
copyright © 2003 - 2007 Andy Rohde
Conditions of use and Disclaimers