Searchlight #21
Piedmont Point, HD Kodiak
Home  |  Kodiak


The Coast Artillery installed Searchlight #21 at Piedmont Point. The site included a combined power plant and searchlight shelter as well as a Distant Electric Control station (DEC), from which operators controlled the light.

The shelter is unusual in that the power plant and searchlight bay doors are on opposite sides of the building. Typically both were located on the front wall of the shelter.



DEC Station


Looking north at the station.
July 2005
The front of the station.
July 2005
The rear entry to the station.
July 2005
Inside the station, looking northeast.
July 2005
The rear wall of the station.
July 2005



Searchlight Shelter


Looking down at the shelter.
July 2005
Looking in the rear (power plant side) door.
July 2005
The front of the shelter, note the concrete track for the searchlight.
July 2005
The power plant side of the shelter.
July 2005
The searchlight side of the shelter.
July 2005







Documents
Detail map of area.September 1944
Area of Illumination map. 




Home  |  Kodiak

Best viewed using Internet Explorer 6.0 at 800 X 850 with 96 PPI
Please make sure javascript is enabled for proper viewing.
Last modified on Sunday, 07/ 2/06, at 03:56 PM
copyright © 2003 - 2007 Andy Rohde
Conditions of use and Disclaimers