Searchlights #9 and #10
Midway Point, HD Kodiak
Home  |  Kodiak


The searchlight facilities at Midway Point include two combined power plant and searchlight structures and a single Distant Electrical Control station, or DEC, from which both lights were directed. Army personnel would roll the searchlights out of the shelters to the end of a short concrete track before operating them.

This double DEC station is larger than a typical single station. Interestingly, Army plans form the 1940s show it as a standard size installation.



DEC Station


Looking northwest at the DEC station.
August 2005
The station as seen from the beach.
August 2005
Looking out of the DEC station.
August 2005
The southeast corner of the station.
August 2005
Looking northwest inside the station.
August 2005
Inside the station, looking northeast.
August 2005



Searchlight #9


Searchlights #9 and #10 as seen from the DEC station.
August 2005
Searchlight #9 and the DEC as seen from Searchlight #10.
August 2005
Looking south at the shelter. Note the concrete tracks on the left.
August 2005
Looking east at the shelter.
August 2005
Looking west inside the shelter.
August 2005
Inside the shelter, looking northeast.
August 2005



Searchlight #10


The shelter, looking southwest.
August 2005
Looking south.
August 2005
Looking west inside the shelter.
August 2005
The east end of the shelter.
August 2005







Documents
Form 4, Searchlight #9May 1, 1944
Plan, Searchlight #9September 1, 1945
Form 4, Searchlight #10May 1, 1944
Plan, Searchlight #10September 1, 1945
Detail map of area.September 1944
Area of Illumination map. 




Home  |  Kodiak

Best viewed using Internet Explorer 6.0 at 800 X 850 with 96 PPI
Please make sure javascript is enabled for proper viewing.
Last modified on Thursday, 04/20/06, at 10:58 PM
copyright © 2003 - 2007 Andy Rohde
Conditions of use and Disclaimers