Searchlights #12 and #13
Gibson Cove, HD Kodiak
Home  |  Kodiak


Searchlights #12 and #13 were installed on the lower slopes of Pillar Mountain, just south of the city of Kodiak. Each searchlight was provided with a combined concrete shelter and power plant, from which personnel would move the searchlight prior to operation. The searchlights were directed from two Distant Electric Control, or DEC, stations located near by.

In the late 1990s the DEC for Searchlight #12 was removed during a road widening project. The three remaining concrete structures have had their roofs destroyed, presumably to inhibit unauthorized occupation.



Searchlight #12


Looking southeast into the shelter.
August 2005
Looking northeast at the shelter.
August 2005
Looking southwest into the shelter.
August 2005



Searchlight #13


The front of the shelter.
August 2005
The roof of the shelter.
August 2005
Looking inside the shelter.
August 2005
The entrance to the DEC station.
August 2005
Looking southwest at the top of the DEC.
August 2005
The entry corridor of the DEC station.
August 2005
The interior of the DEC is full of rubbish.
August 2005



Support Buildings


Remains of the eastern most Quonset Hut.
August 2005
The middle Quonset has been flattened.
August 2005







Documents
Form 4, Searchlight #12May 1, 1944
Plan, Searchlight #12September 1, 1945
Form 4, Searchlight #13May 1, 1944
Plan, Searchlight #13September 1, 1945
Detail map of area.September 1944
Area of Illumination map. 




Home  |  Kodiak

Best viewed using Internet Explorer 6.0 at 800 X 850 with 96 PPI
Please make sure javascript is enabled for proper viewing.
Last modified on Saturday, 10/14/06, at 08:25 PM
copyright © 2003 - 2007 Andy Rohde
Conditions of use and Disclaimers