Searchlights #11 and #12
Fort Learnard, HD Dutch Harbor
Home  |  Dutch Harbor


Searchlights #11 and #12 were installed about half a mile northwest of Battery Const. #298. Each searchlight was provided with an "elephant steel" shelter, a power plant shelter and was controlled from a Distant Electrical Control, or DEC, station of wood frame construction. Also located nearby was a Quonset hut, presumably used for troop housing.

Power plant #11 and the two searchlight shelters were not reached due to the steep cliffy nature of the area.






The searchlight area as seen form BC 4. The Quonset hut is in the upper left corner. The two DECs are near the bare earth patch, while power plant #12 is just visible below and to the right. Power plant #11 may also be visible, but isn't clear enough to be sure. View annotated photo
July 2004
The Quonset hut.
July 2004
Fuel barrels stored above the Quonset hut.
July 2004
DEC #11 has been badly damaged.
July 2004
DEC #11. Note the wire mesh on the right, possibly remains of camouflage netting.
July 2004
Power plant #12, the corrugated steel roof and much of the walls have vanished.
July 2004
Detail of improvised fuel tank at power plant #12.
July 2004
Looking northwest at DEC #12.
July 2004
The interior of DEC #12.
July 2004







Documents
Form 4, Searchlight #11August 1, 1944
Form 4, Searchlight #12August 1, 1944
Form 5, Standby LightingAugust 1, 1944
Detail map of area.December 10, 1944
Field of illumination mapDecember 10, 1944




Home  |  Dutch Harbor

Best viewed using Internet Explorer 6.0 at 800 X 850 with 96 PPI
Please make sure javascript is enabled for proper viewing.
Last modified on Thursday, 04/20/06, at 10:51 PM
copyright © 2003 - 2007 Andy Rohde
Conditions of use and Disclaimers